Monday, February 13, 2012

Direction in All Things - Buy Shoes!

While I was out running errands, I picked up a memo pad that caught my eye. It said "Life is short, buy shoes". Since I've been occupied lately freshening up my spring shoe wardrobe, I purchased it. At my next stop, the post office, I saw a friend of mine. When I got closer, I realized that she was crying. I said "Honey, what's wrong?". She proceeded to tell me that the guy she had broken off her engagement with, and gave everything back to, had informed her that he was getting attorneys because she had "destroyed" the interior of the car he gave her, which she had given back to him (she wanted nothing from the guy). She was at the moment boxing up and mailing to him the last of the things he had given her. I peeked in the box to see a pristine set of pink towels that said "Princess" and a sad handwritten letter. Poor girl. Suddenly, I remembered the slogan on the memo pad. "Buy shoes!" I said. My friend looked at me like I was nuts. I continued "When the going gets tough, the tough buy shoes.". "Well.....I am getting my hair done" she said through her tears.  There ya go! She'll be fine. She understood immediately that the thing to do, instead of mourning her relationship, is to celebrate her womanhood. Isn't life fab?

3 comments:

Suzie said...

You really are a great friend. I am so lucky to have you as my sister.
xxx Suzie

diane said...

Right back at ya Sue! xo

Joanna Jenkins said...

Been there, done that... And I have A LOT of shoes to prove it.
xo jj