Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baby You Can Drive My Car




When the kids were little, we used to go to the park a lot. Of course, the highlight of going to the park, was getting to sit in the park ranger's car and wear his hat. I think it was on some kind of level with sitting on Santa's lap. Notice that it's only photos of the girls, I think my son took off running. Not that he was old enough to be in any trouble, he was just smart enough to know these photos would come back to haunt him later. Smart kid. Maybe he noticed that his sister had a walkie-talkie, and thought she was trying to call for help. What is it that makes us torture our own flesh and blood like this? It's like some kind of weird blackmail, holding on to pictures of your kids, that can't be shown to the public, or worse yet, to the boyfriend/girlfriend. I realized after seeing the little boy in pearls in Vic's post (What Were You Thinking?), that this kind of torment has been going on for a long time. It's like the parents get to be the bullies, letting our kids be photographed in weird outfits for future embarrassment. And then we wonder where we went wrong when they walk into the house with a green mohawk.

12 comments:

Vic said...

The little kid pictures aren't so bad; it's when your parent shows everyone your acne/babyfat/weird middle school hair pictures that the true parental torture kicks in.

Dominica said...

Hahaha, even now I can't take or show ANY pictures of my daughter !
She hates to pose but likes to take LOADS of pictures with the Apple Photo Booth from herself !
She had to get her picture taken for her new ID card and she realy hated that picture ... she even asked the lady that had to install her pin-number and activate her ID card if the picture was mandatory ...LOL
It's after 15 years you realise that this age is the best and you look tour best ... (sigh)...
Oh well, gonna check out those pearl pictures in Vic's blog ....:-)

Dominica said...

Back again :
I meant = really and your instead of tour ...
OMG, I did wake up too soon this morning...

sorry ...:-O

alineaimee said...

So cute! I love this song and the picture is awesome!

miss sophie said...

these are such photographic gems in your family album! lately i've been thinking about getting a polaroid just so i can take photos and get the old fashioned 'instant gratification' feeling - the digital age just isn't the same!

diane said...

Vic: Don't be fooled, what about the bathtub shots? Humiliating at any age.

Dominica: I've seen some of your daughter's photos on your blog, I think she may well grow up to be a fashion photographer. In that case, you can save her early unflattering shots for later and sell them to VH1 or MTV for "Before They Were Famous".

Aline Aimee: Sure, sure, distract us with the Beatles song. We know you have some embarrassing photos stashed in a shoe box somewhere.

Miss Sophie: Genius! As we all know, and needed to be reminded, the most embarrassing pics are always the ones taken with a Polaroid.

Girl Interrupted said...

lol awww cute pics!

Like my mum CONSTANTLY tells me ... there has to be some perks to the job

Wendy said...

I'm storing up for a lot of blackmail. I can't wait!

I don't see how you can use these for blackmail though... they are too cute!

diane said...

Girl Interrupted: Plenty of perks with kids. Plenty more with grand kids. :)

Wendy: Sounds to me like your kids have their own paparazzi. I chose these photos very carefully, as I didn't want to be forced to take them off the blog.

Sassy said...

Those pics are so cute!

Thank you! Yes, I do exercise like 4 times a week. Im' glad you like my bangs!

diane said...

Sassy: I exercise in front of the time clock at work.

The Concrete Commentator said...

LOL! Well said.