Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Coaldale, Pennsylvania






I live in the foothills of the Pocono mountains, in a little town called Coaldale. Although I have previously written about the bravery of the coalminers who worked, lived, and died here, I have not shown any photos of our beautiful little town. The photos here are ones I found on the web, but they will suffice as I am currently without camera (resolving that problem by the end of the month, hooray). The Angela theater is a real blast from the past, as beautiful inside as you would expect from a theater from that time period. The old road shot, which is just two roads away from my house, still looks almost exactly the same except for the cars. Oh, and look at that beautiful church! It's one block away from my house. My mother-in-law and I went there for Christmas Mass a few years ago; it was like being inside an ornate Fabregie egg. And of course, our town motto, located across the street from my house and a few feet down. Have you noticed how everything is located near my house? It really is a small town, a little slice of heaven. I never get tired of our "blue" mountains, named for their bluish appearance, or the friendly people who live here. Where I work, every body knows every body. It's one of the nicest working atmosphere's I've ever had. This town has an old fashioned appeal that is certainly not lost on yours truly. As the weather improves, I will try to post some photos of people and architecture in our town. Patience, my pet. xo

14 comments:

Dominica said...

Yes Diane, you should post some 'live' action pics, as soon as it's possible...wow, to have mountains as a view...I was in Suisse once and the mountains didn't seem real ; like cartboard settings for a play in theatre.
The Angela cinema look really nostalgic...great !
And for the church ; I like to visit them too and true, this one looks like a GIANT Fabergé egg (but on the inside) hahaha...

diane said...

Dominica: I went to La Grave with my son years ago to watch him ski, which I did cheerfully while drinking beer at a ski-side pub. On the bus ride home, I was so ill, from all of the swerving around those little mountain roads. I felt like death. No regrets though, I got to see my son ski down the expert slope without poles! He was, and still is, amazing.

Vic said...

No wonder you love walking to work. What a beautiful little town. The church is amazing.

miriam said...

what a beautiful town! when can i come and visit? :)

and btw, did you get my email, asking for your undiesize etc?

SkylersDad said...

I love small towns, I grew up in one myself.

diane said...

Vic: I don't actually pass the church on my way to work, I pass the swimming pool which looks like something out of a 1950's resort.

Miriam: I never got your e-mail, I don't know why. My address is - dyejobslye@hotmail.com - Do you have a little sumpin sumpin for me?

SkylersDad: Small town people unite! No, wait. If we unite, our town won't be small anymore. Scratch that.

Baybay Mama said...

hey! I realized my last comment was super negative.....Fall Out Boy just doesn't wet my whistle if you know what I mean. I don't want to spread hate...very terrible. I am 27 (going to be 28 soon). I love punk, old punkie type stuff:) Do you like the Buzzcocks? Your town looks like a movie set. Have you seen Last Picture Show? I guess the movie theater made me think of that.

Girl Interrupted said...

Oh it looks lovely, Diane! That church is stunning.

diane said...

Dooder City: You weren't being negative, you were expressing yourself. I love the Buzzcocks in an Ali G. sort of way.

Girl I: I love that church too. I'm hoping to get a group shot of the cool punks on the steps.

Marian said...

darling these are beautiful photos, the town looks picture perfect! thank you for this lovely post xx
marian

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

I loved your comment - I lol-ed!

Bisous,
La C.

drollgirl said...

dude. you live in a cool area. wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy different than where i live.

miriam said...

i do indeed have a little sumpin sumpin for you. emailed you again, perhaps check your spambox in case it got lost again...

diane said...

Marian: I am always so honored when you drop in, you are like the queen of fashion.

La C: I'm glad I made you laugh. If you don't have a sense of humour in fashion, all is lost.

Drollgirl: How about some pics of your area then? I intend to get more personal with my nest as soon as I get my sh*t together.

Miriam: You are the bomb baby! Mwahhh! xo